Skip to main content

Delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red)


delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red) Card
While I was making the little tent card on the blog a couple of days ago, the tall flower spikes in the JOFY stamp set reminded me of the blue delphiniums we used to have in the garden and a poem I used to love reading when I was small. I was from the wonderful world of AA Milne, he of  Winne the Pooh  fame and was called 'Now we are Six' .  Its packed full of the most fabulous poems, all of which I loved but this one was always my favourite, so I thought I'd share it all with you. 
The Doormouse and the Doctor
There once was a Dormouse who lived in a bed

Of delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red),

And all the day long he'd a wonderful view

Of geraniums (red) and delphiniums (blue).
A Doctor came hurrying round, and he said:

"Tut-tut, I am sorry to find you in bed.

Just say 'Ninety-nine' while I look at your chest...

Don't you find that chrysanthemums answer the best?" 
The Dormouse looked round at the view and replied

(When he'd said "Ninety-nine") that he'd tried and he'd tried,

And much the most answering things that he knew

Were geraniums (red) and delphiniums (blue)
                                                                           
The Doctor stood frowning and shaking his head,

And he took up his shiny silk hat as he said:

"What the patient requires is a change," and he went

To see some chrysanthemum people in Kent.
The Dormouse lay there, and he gazed at the view

Of geraniums (red) and delphiniums (blue),

And he knew there was nothing he wanted instead

Of delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red).
The Doctor came back and, to show what he meant,

He had brought some chrysanthemum cuttings from Kent.

"Now these," he remarked, "give a much better view
Than geraniums (red) and delphiniums (blue)."
They took out their spades and they dug up the bed

Of delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red),

And they planted chrysanthemums (yellow and white).

"And now," said the Doctor, "we'll soon
                        have you right."
The Dormouse looked out, and he said with a sigh:

"I suppose all these people know better than I.

It was silly, perhaps, but I did like the view

Of geraniums (red) and delphiniums (blue)."
The Doctor came round and examined his chest,

And ordered him Nourishment, Tonics, and Rest.

"How very effective," he said, as he shook
The thermometer, 
"all these chrysanthemums look!"
The Dormouse turned over to shut out the sight

Of the endless chrysanthemums (yellow and white).

"How lovely," he thought, "to be back in a bed

Of delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red.)"

The Doctor said, "Tut! It's another attack!"


And ordered him Milk and Massage-of-the-back
And Freedom-from-worry and Drives-in-a-car,

And murmured, "How sweet your chrysanthemums are!"
The Dormouse lay there with his paws to his eyes,

And imagined himself such a pleasant surprise:

"I'll pretend the chrysanthemums turn to a bed

Of delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red)!"
The Doctor next morning was rubbing his hands,

And saying, "There's nobody quite understands

These cases as I do! The cure has begun!

                                     How fresh the chrysanthemums look in the sun!"
The Dormouse lay happy, his eyes were so tight

He could see no chrysanthemums, yellow or white.

And all that he felt at the back of his head
Were delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red).

And that is the reason (Aunt Emily said)

If a Dormouse gets in a chrysanthemum bed,

You will find (so Aunt Emily says) that he lies

Fast asleep on his front with his paws to his eyes

Lovely isn't it .........  I'll share some pics of our workshop day with you tomorrow and some fabulously spooky samples from Lyn too so until then, enjoy your day, thanks for calling by and catch up again soon :-) 

Comments

  1. Very cute Clare and I love your little poem/story!! I just got home it's 11:30 p.m. from my crop, got 4 more pages finished!!! Hooray and had fun as well!!! Take care, will be checking to see your new post and seeing if there is a new video as well!!
    Luv,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I used to have the entire collection! (ok, who am I kidding... I still do! lol) My favourite was always "BAD SIR BRIAN BOTANY" from the "When we were very young" book. It was just so daft! And to this day, I still rattle off "Forgiven" every time I see a beetle! lol.
    I was so obsessed with the Milne as a kid, my parents nicknamed me "Pooh Bear", which has also stuck.

    So naturally, I LOVE your frame, and thank you for the trip down memory lane. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet poetry. A.A.Milne was a wonderful writer. What ever would we do, without Winnie the Pooh?
    Thanks for sharing, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super card - Love this poem - but also love Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Clare, A stunning card and a really lovely poem.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pleasing card...and a lovely poem with a message to appreciate that which we already have. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

September - Kit of the Month

Morning everyone, I'm really excited to be sharing our latest Kit of the Month with you today.  New for September this little Flip Flap album and its co ordinating case has been altered in papers from the Blue Stars collection by Stamperia.  There's a subtle festive feel to the papers and gorgeous whimsical fairies and cut outs adorn the pages. The kit comes with printed instructions and all the elements needed to make up the box, album covers and decorate the pages.  Here's a few more pics of the project.   Take a peek at the full project in the video below:  For more info on what's included in the kit, delivery T  C's and to place your pre-order for this limited stock kit follow the link below:  September Kit of the Month  Thanks for calling by, have a fun filled day and look forward to catching up again wiht our August Giveaway on 4th :-) C

Graphic 45 and Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L Blog Hop

Hi every one  We've got another fun blog hop this week running from 17th -21st December with Graphic 45 and Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L.  As always there's an amazing give away on offer so don't forget to leave a comment to be in with a change to win the following:  A Place in Time 12 x 12 paper pad both sets of co-ordinating Place in Time chipboard die-cuts both sets of Place in Time stickers Graphic 45 Ornate Metal Keys Graphic 45 chipboard buttons 3 packs of scrapbook adhesive 3D foam squares  and  a Scrapbook Adhesive MyStik. WOW!!!! Graphic 45 Place in Time Giveaway Prize  For info here's a little more info on Scrapbook Adhesives:  Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L(r) has been delivering high quality adhesives to the craft industry for 10 years.  They focus on a complete line of rigorously tested and approved adhesives that are safe for all of your crafts.  Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L offer a range of products from high dimension 3D foam to s

What a week!

IndigoBlu Tags  Happy Friday everyone If your a follower of mine you 'll know that I've been off work for a while following an op, but my life as a lady of leisure came to an end this week when I returned to the world of totally british beautiful fast fast cars and ones that go anywhere!!  I had a wonderful welcome back from my colleagues so thanks to everyone for making my first day as good as it was.  I thought I'd feel like the new girl, not able to remember anything, but just like riding a bike it all came flooding back :-) Now I feel like I've not been away lol!!!    I cant deny I'm not pleased its the weekend and I've got time to re charge my batteries before attempting another 5 days on the trot :-)  As I've just joined the IndigoBlu team official this week I thought I'd share a couple of tags with you made with stamps from the  Pomp and Pageantry and Grand Tour 1 plates and the ledger background which I really love.  Tag 1 IndigoBlu